The Last Day Of School Is Almost Here…
There is a lot to look forward to at the end of the school year; Field day, class parties, fun activities, and summer! But it is also the time of year when kids can sometimes get overloaded on sugary treats. The good news is, it is easy to make the end-of-the-year classroom party healthy and fun. Visit the Matoaka PTA Healthy Lifestyles Pinterest board for ideas!
Please be sure that your classroom parties adhere to the Williamsburg James City County Schools wellness policy which encourages healthy students and classrooms. The regulations cover not only student meals but also classroom parties.
Have a Healthy LUAU Themed Classroom Party!
Nothing says “SUMMER FUN” like a Luau. And with so many options available, it is easy to put together a simple, HEALTHY party that the kids will enjoy.
Renee Staton the Cafeteria Manager at Central Office/James Blair recently shared this great fruit display idea with SHIP (School Health Initiative Program).
You can use real or plastic pineapples to assemble the tree. To use real pineapples: slice off the top and bottom of each pineapple making sure that the ends are level and flat. You can connect each pineapple with skewers or cut and scoop out the center of each and run a wooden dowel through them.
Healthy Luau Ideas
- Palm tree crackers – graham crackers, apples and raisons. Very easy and healthy. You could also use oranges and bananas
- “Killer cool” whale – this would make a great centerpiece for your party serving table.
- “Crab” croissants – if your classroom party takes place on the same day as field day, remember – the little ones might be hungry from all the physical activity. A croissant with strawberries and carrots might be the perfect first course before the sugar free Jello Boats!
- Fruit cup boats, Fruit kabobs, Fruit Pizza or Fruit “Push-Ups” are all fun ways to offer a colorful, healthy treat. Use beach buckets and shovels on the serving table to offer pretzels, nuts, goldfish too!
- Lava Drink– coconut milk, pineapple juice, strawberries, ice, half & half and water! And remember, everything is more fun with a mini paper umbrella! Or serve water with frozen juice cubes, or rainbow colored orange or lemon slices
- O’fish’ally Treat Bags – if you would like to offer a gift to take home, these goodie bags could be customized for any grade level.
For other fun ideas, visit our End Of The Summer board on Pinterest
If you are planning a fun and HEALTHY end of the year classroom party, let us know! We would love to feature your idea. Send email to Tryna Fitzpatrick firstname.lastname@example.org